bookshelves: published-1931, winter-20132014, radio-4x, lit-richer, classic, those-autumn-years, play-dramatisation, britain-england, families, fradio, lifestyles-deathstyles, filthy-lucre
Read from January 12 to 17, 2014
Description: Adaptation of the 1931 novel by Vita Sackville-West about an old widow who defies her children to embark on an independent life after her husband dies.
Lady Slane ...... Honor Blackman
Mr FitzGeorge ...... Alec McCowen
Herbert Holland ...... John
Nicholas Carrie ...... Phyllida Nash
Kay Holland ...... Patrick Romer
Mr Bucktrout ...... Paul Nicholson
Mr Gosheron ...... Peter Ellis
Genoux ...... Sonia Elliman
Police Inspector ...... Russell Boulter
Deborah Holland ...... Annabel Scholey
Directed by Sara Davies.
1. An 88-year-old woman defies her children to embark on an independent life after her husband dies. Stars Honor Blackman.
2. Rejecting her children's plans for her old age, Lady Slane embarks on a new life and makes two eccentric friends in Hampstead.
3. Lady Slane's retirement is interrupted when she is visited by a figure from her past, whose memories force her to take stock of her own life.
4. Lady Slane's newfound friendship with Mr FitzGeorge ends suddenly, leaving a legacy that comes as a shock to her children.
5. Lady Slane's decision about what to do with Mr FitzGeorge's vast fortune outrages her family, but a visitor brings hope for the future.
Because of the social hats Lady Slane has worn over a lifetime, her colony of vultures think they know best how to deal with her when, in her late eighties, she becomes a widow. Contrary to this looming organisation, Lady Slane decides to cast away the now redundant head gear and strike off on her own to Hampstead.
"What would mother want to be secretive about at her age!"...Continua