Language: English | Number of Pages: 320 | Format: Hardcover
Isbn-10: 1854109405 | Isbn-13: 9781854109408 | Publish date: 22/11/2003
Do you like An Animated Life ?
Join aNobii to see if your friends read it, and discover similar books!
Inspired by Willis O'Brien's King Kong and schooled by animation genius George Pal (The War of the Worlds, Time Machine, The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm), Harryhausen blazed new trails in special effects from the 1950s to the 1980s. Now, in the animator's own words, accompanied by hundreds of previously unpublished photos, sketches, and storyboards from his personal archive, comes Ray Harryhausen: An Animated Life.
Anecdotal, insightful, illuminating, and honest, the book takes readers through Harryhausen's entire career - film by film, triumph by triumph - from the impact that watching The Lost World and King Kong had on his life to creating the magnificent creatures seen in Clash of the Titans, his last movie. In words and images, it explains the basics of special effects and stop-motion animation, along the way telling tales of working with the film stars of the day - such as Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, and Lionel Jeffries, to name a few - and revealing how Raquel Welch was picked up by a flying dinosaur in One Million Years B.C., why the octopus in Mysterious Island was really only a sixtopus, and what Madusa's blood was made from in Clash of the Titans.
* No motion picture animator has greater recognition than Ray Harryhausen
* The book explores in detail how the animation models were made
* It also offers a film-by-film breakdown of the animation techniques used
* And it includes never before seen concept sketches and movie production drawings from films such as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, and many more
* And provides frame-by-frame deconstructions of how ground-breaking effects were achieved
* Finally, it contains previously unpublished behind-the-scenes photos revealing Harryhausen's expert artistry, unique talent, and production secrets
* Foreword was written by Ray Bradbury, legendary author of fantasy and science fiction