This man's memory is meticulous. He remembers more of what happened 50 years ago than i do of 2 weeks.
Does non-violent resistance work? Reading Gandhi's work together with world history does seemingly make him less persuasive. One of the conditions he listed for holding such an attitude is when the aggressor actually cares whether or not you're alive. Perhaps next time I should read this concurrently with Machiavelli's Prince? I still don't think I get the gist of his teachings, but hopefully one day I will. Any suggestions?...Continua
* Fear is not a disease of the body; fear kills the soul.
* The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
* An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
* Weeding is as necessary to agriculture as sowing.
* Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacities. She has the right to participate in the minutest details in the activities of man, and she has an equal right of freedom and liberty with him.
* There are times when you have to obey a call which is the highest of all, i.e., the voice of conscience even though such obedience may cost many a bitter tear, and even more, separation from friends, from family, from the state to which you may belong, from all that you have held as dear as life itself. For this obedience is the law of our being.
* The test of friendship is assistance in adversity, and that too, unconditional assistance. Co-operation which needs consideration is a commercial contract and not friendship. Conditional co-operation is like adulterated cement which does not bind.
* Non-cooperation is an attempt to awaken the masses, to a sense of their dignity and power. This can only be done by enabling them to realize that they need not fear brute force, if they would but know the soul within.
* Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
* Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.
* It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.
* Democracy is an impossible thing until the power is shared by all, but let not democracy degenerate into mobocracy.
* They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.
* I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
* Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.
* Whenever I see an erring man, I say to myself I have also erred; when I see a lustful man I say to myself, so was I once; and in this way I feel kinship with everyone in the world and feel that I cannot be happy without the humblest of us being happy.
* I have but shadowed forth my intense longing to lose myself in the Eternal and become merely a lump of clay in the Potter's divine hands so that my service may become more certain because uninterrupted by the baser self in me.
* An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody will see it.
* Even as wisdom often comes from the mouths of babes, so does it often come from the mouths of old people. The golden rule is to test everything in the light of reason and experience, no matter from where it comes....Continua