Part of the successful Basics series, this accessible guide provides the ideal first step in understanding literary theory. Hans Bertens:
* leads students through the major approaches to literature which are signalled by the term 'literary theory'
* places each critical movement in its historical (and often political) context
* illustrates theory in practice with examples from much-read texts
* suggests further reading for different critical approaches
* shows that theory can make sense and that it can radically change the way we read.
Covering the basics and much more, this is the ideal book for anyone interested in how we read and why that matters.