Like Middlesex ?
Join aNobii to see if your friends read it, and discover similar books!
Spanning eight decades and chronicling the wild ride of a Greek-American family through the vicissitudes of the twentieth century, Jeffrey Eugenides’ witty, exuberant novel on one level tells a traditional story about three generations of a fan Continue
Spanning eight decades and chronicling the wild ride of a Greek-American family through the vicissitudes of the twentieth century, Jeffrey Eugenides’ witty, exuberant novel on one level tells a traditional story about three generations of a fantastic, absurd, lovable immigrant family -- blessed and cursed with generous doses of tragedy and high comedy.
But there’s a provocative twist. Cal, the narrator -- also Callie -- is a hermaphrodite. And the explanation for this takes us spooling back in time, through a breathtaking review of the twentieth century, to 1922, when the Turks sacked Smyrna and Callie’s grandparents fled for their lives. Back to a tiny village in Asia Minor where two lovers, and one rare genetic mutation, set our narrator’s life in motion.
Middlesex is a grand, utterly original fable of crossed bloodlines, the intricacies of gender, and the deep, untidy promptings of desire. It’s a brilliant exploration of divided people, divided families, divided cities and nations -- the connected halves that make up ourselves and our world. Justly acclaimed when it was released in Fall 2002, it announces the arrival of a major writer for our times.
- English Books
- School & Library Binding 529 Pages
- ISBN-10: 0613996747
- ISBN-13: 9780613996747
- Publisher: Rebound by Sagebrush
- Publish date: 2003-09-01
- Dimensions: 213 mm x 883 mm x 1,309 mm
- Also available as: Paperback , Hardcover , Audio CD , Audio Cassette , Others , eBook
- In other languages: other languages 繁體書 , 简体书 , Livres Français , Deutsche Bücher , Libros en Español , Livros em Português , llibres en català , Libri Italiani , Nederlandse Boeken , Česká kniha , Svenska böcker , Buku Indonesia