Speak with Power and Confidence
A very comprehensive, yet to the point, book on communication skill for various scenario. Could be a candidate for regular review!At the Podium1. Start your speeches with silence. To acquire max attention.2. Don't waste the first few seconds.
A very comprehensive, yet to the point, book on communication skill for various scenario. Could be a candidate for regular review!
At the Podium
1. Start your speeches with silence. To acquire max attention.
2. Don't waste the first few seconds. Examples include "I'm going to talk about ..."
3. Always mention your audience specifically.
4. Once you conclude, stop talking.
About the Words You Use
5. Simpler is better. Aconyms need to be explained
6. Name names
7. Watch your pronouns. The use of "He" could be fatal to exclude "she"
Handling Audience Questions
8. Never say, "I'm glad you asked this question". Instead, say "You've raised a very important issue"
9. If you don't know the answer, say no.
10. You don't need to win the Q&A session
In the Job Interview
11. Prepare for "Tell me about yourself" question
12. Decide what your strong points are and don't be modest
13. Know more about the company than the other candidates doe
In the Sales Presentation
14. Don't be ashamed to sell
15. Plan on coming back
In the Media Interview
16. Have an informational goal or a set of target issues
17. Remember you are the expert, not the interviewer
18. Never say " No comment". Say something like "It is proprietary info" or "I don't have sufficient info to make an intelligent comment"
19. Use agendas for meetings and stick with them
20. Begin meetings on time
21. Don't let meetings become gripe sessions
On the Witness Stand
22. Don't let them rush you
23. Greet silence with silence
24. Just answer the questions
During a Crisis
25. Maintain media contact at regular intervals
26. Don't forget to talk to trhe troops
27. When a crisis is over, say so.