"This delightful book elegantly documents Henri IV's architectural programs of 1605-10 . . . and helps us understand the surprisingly gentle humanity and charm that those urban groupings possess."
-- "The New Yorker" The Louvre, the Place Royale (now the Place des Vosges), the Place and rue Dauphine, the Pont Neuf, and the Hô pital Saint Louis were part of a building program initiated by Henri IV that would be unmatched in Paris for more than two centuries. Drawing on previously untapped notarial archives in Paris's Minutier central, Hilary Ballon provides a rich and original account of the crucial period between 1605 and 1610 when Paris was transformed from a medieval city decimated by war and neglect into a modern capital.
An Architectural History Foundation Book...Continua