Please read the following terms and conditions carefully. if you do not agree with these terms and conditions, you should not use this website or any of the services available through it.
Please print and keep a paper copy and/or retain an electronic copy of these terms and conditions for your records.
About the terms and conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to your use of the Services (as defined below) including the website www.anobii.com (the “Website”). By accessing or using the Services or any associated software you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions whether or not you are a registered user of the Services.
- These terms and conditions incorporate any such additional terms and conditions which may govern your use of a particular Service (the “Additional Terms”), which may include (without limitation) an End User Licence Agreement or competition or promotional terms. If there is a conflict between these terms and conditions and any Additional Terms, the Additional Terms shall prevail to the extent of such conflict.
- You may not use the Services if you are under the age of 13 years old. If you are under the age of 18 years old but over the age of 13 years old, you may not use the Services without the consent of your parent or guardian.
- We reserve the right to update these terms and conditions at any time without notice. If we do so, we will publish the amended version on the Website. The amended terms and conditions will take effect from the time they are first published on the Website, and from then on will govern the relationship between you and us in respect of your use of the Services. If you do not agree with the amended terms and conditions, you must stop using the Services from the time on which the amended terms and conditions are published on the Website.
For the purposes of this agreement:
- “Services” means the provision of the Website together with any other pages, information, software, apps, services, products and content which may be operated, hosted or managed by us from time to time;
- “Third Party Materials” means any and all third party content, information, material, software and / or any other items and services mentioned, linked to or otherwise made accessible or available to you through the Services; and
- “User Generated Information” means any information made available to /or other users of the Services and/or us, including, but not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, ratings, book and other reviews and comments, usage data, and suggestions about products or services.
- Accounts registered by any automated methods are not permitted, including but not limited to account registered by internet bots.
- The Services are operated by Arnoldo Mondadori Editore S.p.A., a company registered in Italy (company registration no. 07012130584) whose registered office is at Via Bianca di Savoia 12 20122 – Milano (“we”, “us”). Our VAT registration number is 08386600152.
- If you have any questions, complaints or comments concerning the Website and / or any other Service, please let us know by contacting us at the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our aim is to create an exciting and friendly community for people who are passionate about books. To make sure our community offers a safe and welcoming environment, we need everyone to abide by some common rules. Consequently, your right to access and use the Services is subject to your compliance with these terms and conditions. This means that if you do not comply with these terms and conditions, we may suspend or withdraw your ability to use some or all of the Services, or terminate your account with us, without notice, and without liability to you.
- Please ensure that the personal information you provide when you register is correct and complete and inform us of any changes to that personal information. You can access and update the information you provide to us by accessing your user account on the Website.
- You may not register or be in control of more than one account.
Use of your account
- You are responsible for all use of, and for protecting the confidentiality of the login details for, your account, and you may not share your login details with anyone. If you fail to comply with the above obligations, we will not be responsible for any losses you suffer as a result and you will be responsible for any losses caused to us due to such unauthorised use. You are responsible for all content posted and activity that occurs under your account whether or not you posted that content yourself or personally engaged in that activity. You must notify us immediately of any unauthorised use of your account or any other breach of security regarding any transactions that you make through the Website or other Services that comes to your attention. You must not use another user’s account.
- Our registered users may post comments, opinions and lists and other User Generated Information on the Website or other Services. By registering with us, you agree that we may use, reproduce, modify, distribute, and otherwise communicate, make available and / or publicly display your User Generated Information together with your user name and your location (e.g. London, England), in any form, anywhere, and by any means, to any person, for purposes of promoting, publicising, operating and / or delivering the Services, without further notice to you or obligation to pay compensation to you of any kind.
Your use of the Services
- You agree that you will not:
- use the Website or other Services for the posting or transmitting of any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind;
- upload files that contain viruses, "Trojan Horses", worms, cancelbots, corrupted files or other such similarly destructive features or otherwise in any way damage, disable or impair the operation of the Website or other Services, or attempt to do any of the same, or gain or attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Website or other Services, or to networks connected to them, or to content delivered through them, by any means, including by hacking, spoofing or seeking to circumvent or defeat any firewalls or other technological or other protections or security measures;
- claim that your use of the Services implies any association between us and you or any other website whether via the use of weblinks or any other method;
- reproduce, duplicate or copy the Website and / or Services or sell or exploit the Services or any part of them without our express written permission;
- in any way abuse, intimidate or be offensive to any other users of the Services or any of our staff; or
- upload, post, host or transmit unsolicited email, SMSs, or any other form of “spam” message on the Services.
- You acknowledge and agree that any such actions may result in the immediate suspension or termination of your account.
- Some of the Services may not be available from all countries. The Services may use geo-blocking software which may block access to certain Services from outside certain countries, which may be necessary for us to comply with the terms and conditions of our content licences. You agree not to attempt to circumvent any geo-blocking software or to otherwise access or use any Services which are not intended to be accessed or used from outside the country from which you are accessing the Services.
- We do not endorse and are not responsible for the contents or privacy practices of any third party websites which are mentioned or linked to on the Website or through the Services. We shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damages caused by use of or reliance on any content, goods and / or services available on such websites.
Content and your rights to use the Services
- Provided that you comply fully with these terms and conditions, we and / or our licensors grant you the right to access and / or view the Services including any content, information, material, software and any other items that we make available through the Services, for your personal and non-commercial use only. We may restrict the extent to which you can view or otherwise use such content.
- Save as expressly provided in these terms and conditions or permitted in the Additional Terms, you may not copy, reproduce, sub-license, republish, distribute, transmit, publicly perform, display or make available, alter, adapt, interfere with, create derivative works from, counterfeit or paste to any other website or webpage, by any means or in any manner, any content, information, material, software or any other items and services provided or made available on or through this Website and / or the Services, or do anything else with such content. You acknowledge that modification of any content, information, material, software or any other items or use of any of the same for any purpose not expressly permitted by these terms and conditions may breach our and others’ copyright and other proprietary rights.
- You agree that you will not use any content, information, material, software or other item or service available on this Website and / or through the Services for any commercial or illegal purpose or for any other purpose prohibited by these terms and conditions or in any notice contained within any such content, information, material, software or other item.
- You agree that we will have the right in our sole discretion to refuse, delete or take down any content you provide to the Website and / or the Services.
- You agree that we may transmit the content you submit to the Website and / or the Services unencrypted and over whatever networks we deem appropriate and make whatever changes and adaptations are in our opinion appropriate for editorial, technical or other purposes, including for purposes of conforming the content to the technical requirements of connecting networks and devices.
Third Party Materials
- You acknowledge and agree that we cannot control, are not responsible for and do not purport to endorse any Third Party Materials in any way. All Third Party Materials are mentioned or made accessible or available to you in good faith but we do not (to the extent permitted by applicable law) accept any responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, or otherwise of such Third Party Materials or for their use, download and / or installation by you.
- In order to use any Third Party Materials, you may need a licence from the relevant third party, and may need to agree to other terms and conditions, which will govern your relationship with that third party. You should read the terms of any licence or other agreement carefully and ensure that you are happy to be bound by them before you use any Third Party Materials.
Our liability to you
- Nothing in these terms and conditions excludes, restricts or affects your statutory rights.
- We do not warrant that: (i) Website and / or Service will meet your specific requirements, (ii) the Website and / or Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the Website and / or Service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the Website and / or Service will meet your expectations, and / or (v) any errors in the Website and / or Service will be corrected.
- You expressly understand and agree that, to the extent allowed by law, we shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if we has been previously been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from:
- the use or the inability to use the Website and / or Services;
- the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the Website and / or the Services;
- unauthorized access to or alteration of your content or data;
- statements or conduct of any third party on the Website and / or through the Services;
- termination or suspension of your user account; or
- any other matter relating to the Website and / or Services.
- You are responsible for ensuring that your computer system, smartphone or other handheld device meets all relevant technical specifications necessary to use, and is compatible with, the Website and the Services. The Website and Services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis and we make no warranties regarding the Website and / or Services other than as required by law. We do not make any warranty that the Website or its servers are free from viruses, worms, cancelbots, “Trojan Horses” or anything else that has contaminating or destructive properties. We shall not be liable for any damage to, or viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property following your access to or use of the Website and / or the Services. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy and security of data input and output.
- In the event that we are not permitted by law to exclude liability to you under these terms and conditions our total liability to you will not exceed £100, unless it results from death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, or our having acted fraudulently.
Events beyond either party’s control
- Except in respect of a payment obligation, neither party will be liable for any failure to perform any obligation owed to the other due to reasons beyond its reasonable control, for example, industrial disputes, technical difficulties, failure of or delays in communications networks, acts of terrorism or power failure.
- If your bandwidth exceeds 250MB per month or significantly exceeds the average bandwidth of our users (as determined by us) you agree that we may suspend your account in whole or in party until you reduce your bandwidth consumption.
Termination, changes to Services, and assignment
- We reserve the right to terminate or suspend this agreement and / or your account and / or your access to this Website and / or the Services at any time at our sole discretion. Termination of your account will result in the deletion of your account and the forfeiture of all content in your account. Any person who holds such a suspended or terminated account must not re-register on the Website without our prior consent.
- You agree that we may modify, suspend or discontinue the provision of the Services (in whole or in part) at any time without any resulting liability.
- We reserve the right to assign or sub-contract any or all of our rights and obligations under these terms and conditions. These terms and conditions are personal to you and are entered into by you for your own benefit and not for the benefit of any third party.
Waiver and severance
- In the event that any provision of these terms and conditions is held to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such provision will be severed and the remainder of these terms and conditions shall continue in full force and effect.
- If you breach these terms and conditions and we take no action against you, we will still be entitled to enforce our rights against you in relation to that breach and to use our rights and remedies in any other situation where you breach these terms and conditions.
Language, governing law and jurisdiction
- English is the only language offered for the conclusion of these terms and conditions of use.
- These terms and conditions are governed by and are to be construed in accordance with Italian law.
- You agree that the courts of Italy shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions. This shall not prevent us from carrying out any interlocutory relief in the courts of any other jurisdiction.
These Terms of Service were last updated on 11 March, 2014.