I still like Lonley Planet as my guild book when I am make trip in my life.
Things I like about Lonely Planets:
- It is the most easily available travel guide written in Enlgish, even when you are in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country.
- It contains probably the most complete travel information, phone numbers, office hours, addresses, prices, etc.
- It has useful single-page maps which highlights all the attractions. I find this the best feature of the book.
- The book is in a reasonable size, easy to carry.
Things I hate about Lonely Planet:
- Instead of giving a fair description of travel destinations so that readers are encouraged to explore, the book is judgemental and often in a criticizing tone. For example, p. 474 "Titisee is an extraordinarily popular summer holiday resort with too much infrastracture for its own good." (Who are you to decide whether this is for its own good or bad?!)
- The book often recommends unauthentic and unusual dining options, such as Asian restaurants in European travel guides. (Why do I want to eat Indian curry in Salzburg and Japanese sushi in Munich??? If I want to eat them I'll go to Asia.)
Unfortunately, because Lonely Planet books contain useful information and are widely available, I still read them....Continua