Routledge Language Workbooks provide absolute beginners with practical introductions to core areas of language study. Books in the series provide comprehensive coverage of the area as well as a basis for further investigation. Each Language Workbook guides the reader through the subject using 'hands-on' language analysis, equipping them with the basic analytical skills needed to handle a wide range of data. Written in a clear and simple style, with all technical concepts fully explained, Language Workbooks can be used for independent study or as part of a taught class.
· introduces the evidence for sentence structure and reveals its purpose
· is based on a problem-solving approach to language
· teaches the reader how to identify word classes, such as noun, preposition and demonstrative
· uses simple tree structures to analyse sentences
· contains numerous exercises to encourage practical skills of sentence analysis
· includes a database and exercises that compare the structure of English with other languages
The second edition has been revised and updated throughout.