A really informative book for dealing with difficult child. Worth the regular revision!
1. Pay Attention
- arrange special time with your child. Let them be the boss. No directions. No questions. Praise selectively.
2. Get Peace and Cooperation with Praise
- identify the core issue, tell not ask, keep it simple, make sure you are heard and understood, no distraction
3. When Praise is not enough, offer reward
- establish a systematic rewards systems for following instructions. The caveat is to distinguish right against privilege.
4. Use mild discipline - Timeout and more
- Fines (deduction of points) and time out at designated area
5. Use Timeout with other misbehavior
- Be consistent, fair, realistic, no distraction in time out.
6. Think aloud and think ahead
- state the rules immediately before entering a public place
- offer an incentive for cooperation
- explain what the punishment will be for failing to cooperate
- give your child something to do
7. Help the teacher help your child
- ask teacher to provide report cards on various areas. Award each of them with pre-defined points.
8. What's in store in the future ahead
- it is a time for graduation :)